Updated: Jun 17, 2018
Herb Lemon Broth with Multi-Grain rice and Rokaru Veggie Platter.
Sure, Rokaru Shabu Shabu in Pearl City, Hawaii is known for it’s array of local meats and seafood. But vegetarians don’t have to skip this shabu shabu joint. Chef’s Reid and Mark also incorporate several local vegetables into their restaurant’s fresh menu.
Here’s the vegetables you can cook to perfection in Rokaru’s delicious, homemade broths + their health benefits.
Rokaru Shabu Shabu Vegetarian Platter
1. Baby Bok Choy- Bok choy is a great source of fiber, which is essential for healthy digestion. The beta-carotene in bok choy is beneficial for eye health, helping in the prevention of cataracts and macular degeneration. Bok choy is also great for a healthy blood pressure because it’s a great source of potassium and calcium.
2. Won Bok- The health benefits of this cabbage include its frequent use as a treatment for constipation, stomach ulcers, headaches, obesity, skin disorders, eczema, jaundice, scurvy, rheumatism, arthritis, gout, eye disorders, heart diseases, and Alzheimer’s disease.
3. Mustard Greens- This veggie’s nutrition profile is packed with fiber, vitamins, minerals and protective phytonutrients. Plus, its nutrition-to-calorie ratio makes it one of the most nutrient-dense and beneficial foods on the planet.
4. Watercress- Many scientific studies have been done on watercress on its health benefits, especially its cancer-fighting properties. Perhaps the most important claim is that watercress is rich in phytochemicals and antioxidants. Phytochemicals are chemicals that occur naturally in fruits and vegetables. Antioxidants prevent cancer causing free radicals from multiplying. Both these compounds are believed to have effective properties to suppress and prevent many types of cancer from occurring.
5. Enoki Mushrooms- These veggies are a good source of nutrients, vitamins and minerals.They help boost your immune system, help you lose body fat in your gut, balance your sugar levels, prevent constipation, normalize bowel movements, lower blood lipids and promote your metabolism.
6. Alii Mushrooms- It’s mostly stem and no cap and is around 6 inches in length. The protein quality in these mushrooms is nearly equal to animal derived protein. These mushrooms also have carbohydrates, fiber, vitamins B1, B2, plus minerals, especially iron and an antioxidants. They also show protection against cancer and high cholesterol.
7. Zucchini- Zucchini serves as a good source of vitamin C. Consuming zucchini also boosts your intake of manganese, an essential mineral. Like vitamin C, manganese protects your tissues from harmful free radicals. It supports the function of glycosyltransferases, a family of proteins that promote healthy bone tissue development. Manganese also helps your body produce collagen essential for efficient wound healing. Zucchini also provides you with lutein and zeaxanthin, which promote healthy eye sight.
8. Eggplant- This vegetable is a good source of dietary fiber. Eggplant supplies 9% daily requirement of fiber in only 100 grams. The vegetable also reduces the risk of cancer. It improves cardiovasular health by lowering cholesterol and reducing the deposition of plaque in the arteries. It also regulates blood pressure, relaxes the blood vessels and improves blood circulation.
9. Kim Chee- Kimchee boosts your immune system and is an excellent food to promote digestion. It is a source of probiotics, which is good for your gut. he multi-nutrient packed kimchee is rich in a range of flavonoids and phenolic components. The variety of ingredients including ginger, garlic, and peppers involved in the preparation of kimchee are super protectors which are renowned for their beneficial effect on the immune system. They help in fighting infections and are valuable in curing cold and flu symptoms.
If you are meat lover, you won’t miss out on eating your veggies. All shabu shabu sets come with a protein and a vegetable place that includes won bok, bok choy, enoki mushrooms, carrots and mochi.
Rokaru Shabu Shabu is located in Pearl City at the Pearl City Gateway Shopping Center. You can get your hot pot fix daily 11a.m. - 10 p.m.